I’ve been trying different things to keep my writing life going while I go through all the craziness surrounding my grandbaby. And I’ve learned quite bit.
1. Early, early morning hours are best for me to write. I need the quiet. I’m too pooped to think straight in the evening.
2. Cleaning one room a day keeps the germs and dust bunnies away. I can do this after baby goes to bed for the night. It’s mindless versus writing, of course.
3. I can fit in a walk anytime. Preferably, I do it before baby goes to sleep. But the Sweetman says, “It doesn’t make sense to take baby out in the stroller since you’ve already given him a bath. It makes his feet stinky.” But the night air helps to put baby to sleep. Besides, who is going to smell his feet under blankets? Ghosts?
4. One cannot depend on babysitters. It doesn’t matter how old they are.
5. The saying about true friends … um …what was that saying? Anyway, the real ones stick around and help you out. Other than that, everyone else, including your family, runs and hides.
6. The State is truly insane. I won’t even go into detail. It would take too long to explain. Just know if you’re a natural MORON, you could get a job with this establishment with no problem.
Before I go, here’s a diddy from Killer Stilettos:
“What’s going on out there?” I had to ask even though I already knew the answer to my question.
The guy set the tray onto the small table, removed the silver cover from the tray, and tucked it under his arm. He reached for the silverware rolled in a white cloth napkin. “Someone offed Nurse Holly,” he whispered, and handed me a fork. “Clunked her in the head and then suffocated her with a pillow. But don’t tell anyone I told you that.”
“I won’t.” Wide-eyed, I took it from him and poked at the yellow scrambled eggs piled in the upper half of my plate. Mind you, my appetite at this point was pretty knell. “Any idea who would do such a thing?” A picture of a faceless, curvaceous woman flashed into my mind. Like a strange a silent movie, Oshun flashed into it next, twirling around in her bright yellow dress being greeted by my mom. They both shook hands. My stomach did its strange intuitive tweak and a chill shivered through me.
“Hey!” the food service guy said. “Rumor has it she had a jealous boyfriend.” Spittle flew out of his mouth when he pronounced the ‘f’. Some fell into my breakfast plate and the rest dribbled down the bright read zits scattered on his chin. I couldn’t help but think about all the germs that had now showered my food. The seen and unseen.
I blinked my eyes two times at him trying to keep my cool over his spit and Nurse Holly being found dead. “Oh.” But last night’s episode with Oshun before Julio and I astral projected flipped into my head. She almost succeeded in strangling me before Gram appeared. Thank God, Gram came when she did or I would be a dead psychic-medium along with the nurse.
“You okay? You’re not afraid are you?” the guy asked, giving me a quirky grin, even though concern creased his blemished forehead. Thankfully, he swiped the dangling drool from his chin with his hairy bare arm before it landed in my orange juice. It would’ve been a straight shot. Totally grody.
I shook my head and picked up a piece of toast cut into long triangles. With my cloth napkin, I wiped it off before I nibbled on the crust. Hopefully, cleaning it off cured it from any airborne germs that may have landed on it. There was no way I could wipe my scrambled eggs clean. The soft texture probably already absorbed this dude’s saliva. The thought made my insides cringe, and I put my piece of toast down.
The guy scratched at his greasy hair stuffed in a black net. I couldn’t tell if his hair was black or brown. Grease had a way of making everything look darker than it really was. “Anyway, everyone around here knew she was doing one of the doctors in the broom closet daily.” Now, he was giving me way too much information. I had grown to like Nurse Holly in the small amount of time I had gotten to know her in. It’s not like I needed to know her personal stuff.
Hope you enjoyed this. Now, I’ve got to get ready for a day of loppity-loppings.
Hugs and chocolate,
PS November 1st, I’m releasing another short and needs help announcing. Let me know in the comments below if you’re interested.